Monday, October 31, 2011
Sunday, October 30, 2011
A Miami police officer in a marked squad car has been charged with reckless driving, accused of zigzagging through Florida Turnpike traffic at more than 120 miles an hour so that he could be on time for his off-duty job, the Florida Highway Patrol said Saturday.
Officer Fausto Lopez, 35, of Miami was handcuffed at gunpoint earlier this month and charged with second-degree reckless driving, a misdemeanor, according to the highway patrol's offense report. Lopez was eventually released, authorities said.
In a pursuit videotaped on the trooper's in-car camera, Lopez led Florida highway patrol officer D.J. Watts on a seven-minute, almost 12-mile chase in pre-dawn darkness on Tuesday, October 11, the report said.
The state patrol officer was driving on the turnpike when the white marked Miami police car blew by at a high rate of speed and "crossed over all lanes of traffic," the report said.
The highway patrol officer couldn't even overtake the Miami police car "due to the unit traveling extremely reckless, in and out of traffic at high rates of speed, in excess of 120 mph," according to the report.
The Miami cop ignored the state patrol officer's siren and lights -- and even "accelerated" at times and continued changing lanes.
At one point, the Miami officer slowed to 78 miles an hour, but sped up again, the highway patrol said.
Finally, the Miami officer, wearing his uniform, pulled over his squad car at 6:35 a.m. in Hollywood. A state highway patrol video shows the state trooper pulling out her service handgun as she approached the Miami police car with the officer seated behind the wheel.
The Miami police officer "stated that he was en route to an off-duty work detail and that he had to be there by 7:00 a.m.," Watts wrote in her report.
On the Florida Highway Patrol offense report, the document lists Fausto's occupation as "police officer" whose employer is "City of Miami Police Departmen(t)" and lists the style of automobile as "police car," a white 2008 Crown Victoria.
CNN: Miami cop accused of driving 120 mph in squad car to off-duty job
I think I see one of his testicles on the fence
Friday, October 28, 2011
Thursday, October 27, 2011
The Gazette reports that 24-year-old Kevin Gaylor was cited with a misdemeanor of false reporting to authorities.
Police say Gaylor had invited a woman he met online to come to his home after 3 a.m. Wednesday so they could get better acquainted, but his girlfriend came home first.
Police say that when the other woman arrived, Gaylor called police and falsely reported an intrusion.
Gaylor has an unlisted phone number and couldn't be reached for comment.
Wane.com: Man reports date as burglar
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Screams for help led deputies down a creek bed to find a man stuck inside the hollow trunk of a standing tree Tuesday morning, authorities said.
Deputies discovered the man trapped at about 10:30 a.m. after receiving reports of someone screaming and then conducting a patrol check near Los Alisos Boulevard and Paseo de Valenica, said Lt. Roland Chacon of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
"Part of his body is underground as well," Chacon said.
Firefighters and deputies said they are not sure why, but the man climbed into a narrow hole located near the base of the tree. The hole led inside the hollow tree trunk and about four or five feet underground, said Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion of the Orange County Fire Authority.
It took firefighters about 90 minutes to get the necessary equipment and safely cut through the branches of the tree to free the man from inside, he said.
The only body parts visible outside the tree truck were the man's head and arms, he said. Part of the body was underground.
Firefighters were also called for a mental health check.
"Why he's in a tree, I have no idea," Concepcion said.
The man was freed just after noon and was being checked for injuries, Chacon said.
OC Register: Screams lead to man stuck inside tree in creek bed
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
The groundskeeper of the park arrived to work Saturday morning, where he and police discovered the man screaming and stuck in the swing, where he'd been for about nine hours. Evidently, his friends took off and left him there.
Vallejo firefighters were called in to rescue the man and used cast cutters to free him.
No word on whether the man collected on the bet.
MSNBC: Man spends night stuck in kid swing after bet with 'friends'
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Thursday, October 20, 2011
A North Portland home was raided Tuesday after fliers throughout the neighborhood advertised drug sales at the address, police said.
Of the seven adults inside the home during the raid, six were arrested on various drug charges. A teenager in the home was placed in protective custody.
Early Tuesday morning police executed a search warrant at a home in the 3900 block of N Massachusetts Avenue, according to Lt. Robert King with the Portland Police Bureau.
Officers said they found nearly 20 grams of marijuana, more than 10 grams of heroin, a sawed-off shotgun, thousands of dollars in cash and the materials for a methamphetamine lab inside the home.
"The neighborhood response team began this investigation over a year ago because of numerous neighborhood complaints," King said. "At one point a neighbor gave officers an 8" by 10" flier found in the neighborhood that said 'Heroin for sale' and gave the address and the names of the dealers."
Neighbors were grateful that the investigation led to arrests.
"It was taxpayer money at work. It was great," said neighbor Doug Barrett. "It's what we've been longing for, so it was a great relief and we told them so."
"They came out smiling; they were happy to see us," said Sgt. John Birkinbine of the positive response from the neighbors. "A lady brought a bucket full of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies to us to tell us thank you. We felt like fire fighters for a few minutes. It was good."
MSNBC: 'Heroin for Sale' fliers lead to Portland raid
Monday, October 17, 2011
Police told the Chicago Sun-Times that Dawn Montesdeoca, 60, threw the treats at her 56-year-old husband in their home in the 4700 block of South Western Avenue Saturday.
After that, she reached for the box of desserts and directed a fusillade of snack cakes at his head and body, her husband told police. Several of the confections apparently hit their mark, as the man's head and shirt were smudged with icing when officers arrived, according to a police report.
Police told the Sun-Times that the woman used an "aggressive tone" with police officers, and a judge set her bail at $10,000 during a Sunday hearing.
Though her husband told police he was scared for his safety, the Tribune reports that the alleged victim has been arrested three times since 2003 on battery or domestic battery charges, which were all eventually dropped.
Huffington Post: Woman Accused Of Throwing Cupcakes At Husband Charged With Domestic Battery